Powered By Blogger

Sunday 7 August 2011

Peri Peri Chicken POST NO 4

I'm really getting hassled now, so you can have the rest of the instructions and then I can have a snooze.

Turn the oven onto 200 degrees celcius (fan-forced). Get a hold of your marinating poussin, and say hello.

Okay - here is the basting sauce:

6 peri peri chillis (apparently they are birds-eye chillis - don't ask me why)
3 garlic cloves
70g butter
2 tbspns olive oil
tspn maldon sea salt
juice of one lemon
1 bay leaf - fresh, dried, doesn't matter
2 tbspns port wine
2 tbspns whisky
extra ground chilli if you are mad like me

Pulse the chilli and garlic an a magimix or blender or maybe a magic bullet if you got sucked in by the infomercial and it hasn't died yet. Heat your butter and oil, and dump your chilli-garlic paste stuff ontop until it sizzles and you can use garlic. Don't lean over the pan at this point, because the chilli can sting your eyes. Guess how I know this?

Righto. Add salt, lemon juice whisky and port. And the bay leaf. Everything else in fact. Let it bubble up for 5 minutes or so. Have a taste. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Feel free to add more dried chilli ground up. This is a basting thing, not a sauce that you pour over anything so it probably won't be as hot on the chicken as you might think. I like it pretty hot so I always go a bit nuts around now. Take it off the heat and leave it around somewhere.

Put your marinated poussins in a roasting tray or baking dish or something that you use in the oven that seems the right size. Bung in the oven. Come back in 10 minutes and baste generously. Back in the oven for another 10, baste, and then back in the oven for 5-10 as needed. Final baste and you can put them on a plate and tuck in.

I like mine with a nice salad, something fresh and a bit zingy so I do this thing with cucumber that you leave in a bowl with a few teaspoons of sugar, one of salt and a good slosh of white wine vinegar. Leave that to absorb for an hour or so, and then toss with some baby roma tomatoes halved, half a red onion cut up finely, and maybe some interesting lettuce or rocket or something. And a really generous handfull of chopped up mint. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I think I chopped this one in half (the poussins were slightly different because I mangled mine while I was spatchcocking it, while Jock managed fine. So we each had a good half and a mangled half. Tasted totally ace.)

Or maybe you would like it with chips? Chips are good too.

Thank you for staying with me on this. Just for you, here is an image of an excellent, well-behaved Fang:

2 comments:

Meriel said...

EXCELLENT! So, what's for dessert?

Lucy said...

My "word verification" for this comment is "quercop" which strikes me as a bit strange...but hey!
The Peri Peri Spatchcocked Poussin look awesome...all that swearing obviously worked!
Great cat too...